As part of the Learner Journey solution suite, Applied Inspiration offers three ambassador training programmes that can be tailored to any school or higher education environment. The three training programmes are themed as follows:
- Hero Ambassadors – suited to higher education ambassadors participating in outreach and recruitment activities on behalf of their university or college.
- Young Ambassadors – suited to secondary students acting as university peer ambassadors in their school.
- Mentor Programme – suited to institutions requiring an off the shelf mentoring programme package.
Hero Ambassador Programme Structure
A 2-day intensive training programme run by Applied Inspiration for new or existing university or college ambassadors, as well as, professionals working in guidance and widening participation roles.
The programme draws on social work theory, negotiation, engagement and widening participation practice to offer participants a dynamic, learner-centred training experience. It is valuable for anyone working to inspire, motivate and support young people.
The course will provide students with training to:
- Engage meaningfully and effectively with young people in different contexts including for in school and on campus activities, subject enrichment events, Residential programs, and community events
- Understand the policy landscape, best practices and principles of effective, engaging outreach engagement
- Engage in a meaningful way with school students, staff, parents, community and university staff and students.
- Deal effectively with school students working towards university pathways
- Develop personal employability competencies
- Leadership & activity/ group facilitation skills
- Effective role modelling for school students
- Self-awareness and critical reflection
- Skills for life long learning
- Understand and articulate the values of widening participation in education
- Understand the barriers that some students face when progressing to higher education
- Understand and provide guidance on the range of support and enablers to progress students on their pathways to higher education
- Understand risk assessment, child protection and health and safety considerations in relation to working with young students
Young Ambassador Programme Structure
A leadership program for targeted pupils, who are supported on their own learning journey to higher education as well as provided with development training to become “university ambassadors” to their peers in their schools.
- Ages 14-16, targeted in partnership with the school
- Pupils in target schools provided place on Young Ambassador program; 60-80 places in total
- Key teacher contacts in school established to support young ambassadors
- Working with Applied Inspiration delivery team and ambassadors to undertake intensive program
Young Ambassadors are provided with a range of support and development (tailored to each school context), which includes:
- Onboarding and Pupil Profiles – Personal goals and leadership development
- Development Modules – University 101, You as Role Model, Supporting & Guiding Others
- Leadership Experiences – University in the Classroom, Talking to School Leadership & Parents, Working with the outreach team
- Coaching and Mentoring – Ensures Young Ambassador remains on their own learning journey as well as inspiring others
- Personal Portfolio – Young Ambassador achievement and participation record
- Young Ambassadors Community – Recognitions of learning and development
Mentor Programme Structure
Targeted advice (1-on-1) and guidance for students to support their application and transition to university through coaching and mentoring activities.
Over the course of 4-5 weeks, students work with mentors and HERO Ambassadors to explore and consolidate their education and career aspirations so that they can successfully transition to higher education. Students will be supported to develop core employability skills and study skills as well as personal skills including self-confidence, presentation skills and self-efficacy.
Students will work with mentors to review their Learner Profile, address areas that they have identified as lacking confidence, information or skills, and develop a robust career and education pathway plan to ensure their success in meeting their goals and making informed decisions about their futures.
- Visions & Motivations
- Profile / Portfolio
- Interview Skills
- University Application